Cancer fighting foods
Cancer is a scary possibility for anyone, but as we age, our risk for cancer becomes even greater. These 5 foods are easy to work into your diet and are credited with some major cancer-fighting powers.
1. Berries: Berries are packed full of phytonutrients. One phytonutrient in particular, anthocyanins, slows down the growth of premalignant cells and keep new blood vessels from forming, which could feed a cancerous tumor. Berries may be helpful in fighting colon, esophageal, oral, and skin cancers.
2. Garlic: Garlic has immune-enhancing allium compounds that appear to increase the activity of immune cells that fight cancer and indirectly help break down cancer causing substances. These substances also help block carcinogens from entering cells and slow tumor development. Garlic is believed to help breast, colon, esophageal, and stomach cancers.
3. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are the best source for lycopene, a compound found to stop endometrial cancer cell growth. Lycopene has been linked to a reduced risk of endometrial, breast, pancreas, lung, prostate, and stomach cancers.
4. Green tea: Green tea contains antioxidants known as polyphenols (catechins) which appear to prevent cancer cells from dividing. Consuming green tea may reduce your risk of cancer of the stomach, lung, colon, rectum, liver and pancreas.
5. Grapefruit: Grapefruit contain monoterpenes, believed to help prevent cancer by sweeping carcinogens out of the body. Some studies show that grapefruit may inhibit the proliferation of breast-cancer cells in vitro.